Make an assumption that your articles on the website have the same contents, which makes Google result page decreases and no firm wants this to happen. Enable Canonical URLs in Magento by meta tag is a good method to solve this problem by informing search engines the page with the same content to index.
It is put in the beginning block of a product page or category page. A link will be given to your preferred URLs so that search engines estimate to give it a higher weight.
Enable Canonical URLs Magento Guide
Here are three examples of Canonical Meta Tag to give you a better understanding.
- Example 1: Category Path Creates Duplicate URLs
In case of your catalog is configured to consist of the category path in product URLs, diversified URLs will be produced in your store that direct to the similar product page.
- Example 2: Category Page Full URL
The category page of a store will contain a canonical URL to the full category URL in case the canonical meta tag for categories are there.
- Example 3: Product page URL
The product page contains a canonical URL to the domain-name/product-url-key in case of equipping canonical meta tags for products (http://mystore.com/driven-backpack.html).
By using its full URL, the product can be entered via this full URL which also contains the category.
There are two ways of preventing your store from being punished by search engines: exclude the category from the URL or utilize the canonical meta tag.
But you should enable canonical meta tags for both categories and products as well.
6 steps to use the canonical meta tag:
1. Go to Store on the Admin sidebar ➨ select Configuration on the Settings.
2. Under Catalog, on the left select Catalog.
3. Enlarge the Search Engine Optimization section.
You have to clear the Use system value checkbox firstly if there is any new changes in any field values
4. In case of you allow search engines to index only category pages by the useage of the full category path, follow the instruction:
- Select “Yes” for Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Categories.
- Select “No” for Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Products.
5. In case of you allow search engines to index product page by utilizing the domain-name/product-url-key format, follow the instruction:
- Select “Yes” for Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Products.
- Select “No” for Use Canonical Link Meta Tag for Categories.
6. When you finish, select Save Config.
That’s how you Enable Canonical URLs in Magento, we hope that after you’ve read our guide you can use it to solve the troubles you’re having right now.
Subscribe to our site for more Magento guides.
Thank you very much for your attention!